Monday 28 October 2013

Stick To The Road!

Hello blog lovers.

It does seem a while since I posted a ride blog.  I did go out last week, but I just didn't get around to writing about it! Anyway, we decided to go out today and stick to the main roads!  There was a bit of a wind during the early hours of the morning, and was still going when the sun came up.  We lost a fence and a bit of felt from the shed roof.  So not too much damage.

But we wasn't quite sure how the lanes would have fared. Whether there were going to be trees and large branches across the roads.  We headed off into Bromley, staying on the main bus routes.  It seemed there was quite a bit of debris in the kerb side, spreading out filling up some of the cycle routes!  Leaves and twigs and other debris. 

We rode straight past our usual place in Bromley, this was going to be just a one refreshment stop ride, as its only going to be a short one.  The clocks have gone back, it's still quite wet out there and there is all that debris to consider!

We were doing a route that we have done before, and it has this particularly nasty little hill in West Wickham.  It's particularly nasty because when you are riding up it, there is no where to stop if you do get a bit tired, you just have to keep on going until you get to the top of it.  Not only that, but the cars that go past, for some reason only know one speed....fast!  I just looked ahead and pedalled. I just wanted to get to the top of it as quickly as my little fat legs could do.

The Old Boy was very encouraging as he said, "That's it, keep going"  I just kept on pedalling, I didn't want to say anything back, acknowledge his encouragement, I just wanted to get up to the top.  As soon as I felt the hill flatten out then I relaxed a bit.  Apparantly I got up that hill at an average pace of 8 miles an hour, just steady and keeping the same pace!  I was pleased with that!

It wasn't that far to go to get to the Greyhound at Keston.  Just a little more undulating roads to get there.  The Old Boy put on his other light which lit up the very dark road like daylight.  The pub emerged through the darkness and filled up my horizon!  Now that was a very welcomed sight!

A quick pint in there and it was off towards home.  We decided to carry on sticking to the main roads and ride through to Locksbottom and then Crofton, Pettswood and home!

A nice ride, and the weather wasn't at all bad, quite mild really, and I was really pleased that the wind and rain was all done with this morning.

Geeky stats from the Old Boys Garmin.
<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/397590402'></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment