Thursday 28 May 2020

First Solo ride!

Hello blog readers.

Well yesterday I decided I needed to stop being silly and get out and do something by myself.  So I decided on a bike ride, rather than a run.  I had a busy day ahead anyway, but I just 'nagged' myself that I need to break the solo thing, make a start at finding my confidence to do things by myself!  It's ridiculous, isn't it!  But I do miss having people with me, it's one of the reasons I went live doing my exercises.  but with my cycling I had the added pressure of gaining my confidence back on my bike, with the clipless and dealing with the roads.  There will be more cars around now as the lockdown slowly starts to lift!

The route I planned wasn't any different to that I have been doing with Bims.  Through Jubilee, head to the dump, through the park, Normans park, a couple of loops and back home.  Only 8 miles but it'll do the job.  So as soon as I had walked the dog I got changed and got my bike ready.  I got out of the door before I changed my mind.  The weather was just lovely, not to warm, but I wasn't worried about that as I had my water with me, the wind had dropped.  My hayfever was playing up, with my eyes itching like crazy so I didn't put my contacts in, I had to cycle with my ordinary glasses, but thankfully they do go dark in the sunlight! 

Since Boris has said that people can meet one other person from another household outside in parks people really have taken that to heart!  It was quite busy, I had to slow down, stop and carefully ride around people and kids on bikes!  I think the roads are a lot safer!  The next park, Whitehall Rec, was busy too, I almost talked myself out of doing the whole park, but I still went for it, I only had to carely ride around a little dude on his bike......he looked like he was going for me! 

After those too parks I thought to myself that if Normans park was just as busy then I wouldn't do the laps, I would just ride all the way through it and head on into Hayes, and then go home from there.  Of course when I got there it was busy!  A ride on up to Hayes it was then!  I had forgotten how I used to love this little ride.  We used to stop at the George and enjoy a pint in the garde, whether it was coming from Normans park way or the other way from Keson.  They do a lovely cool refreshing Amstel at The George.

Of course no stopping this time, nothing was opened anyway!  I carried on to Barnet Wood Road just off Five elms lane.  I was smiling as I rode along, remembering all the lovely rides down this road, either heading for the pub or coming home from a long ride, both smile inducing thoughts though!  I decided when had got to the end and turned left onto Oakly road then I would turn left again on to the A21 and ride all the way do to the roundabout before turning right to go home.  Might as well, it will build up the miles and my confidence!

I got back feeling rather pleased with myself.  I enjoyed that ride, I just need to keep it going now.  Make the time, build it into my day.  Even if I only ride and hour each time, it's better than nothing.  My next ride is on Friday, with Bims!  Maybe we can do that route again, it is rather nice!




No comments:

Post a Comment